History of the University of Valladolid
The University of Valladolid is one of the oldest in Spain, together with those of Salamanca and Lerida. All of them form part of a great intellectual movement that emerged in western Europe during the XIII and XIV centuries.
The origins of the University of Valladolid date back to the late XIII century. The earliest written reference appears in the document signed by King Sancho IV of Castile in the year 1293. The intellectual renaissance emerged at the same time as urban expansion and material progress in the major Castilian towns, of which Valladolid is a clear example.
At first, the various academies that had been set up taught subjects such as grammar, arithmetic, Latin, and the holy scriptures. Later, the city was given royal approval such as the papal bull for this centre. In 1346, Pope Clement VI, at the request of King Alfonso XI, conferred the title of “General Studies” on the branches of studies that already existed in Valladolid, although it was not possible to study theology since this was the exclusive privilege of the University of Paris. With the end of the Schism, Pope Martín V bestowed on Valladolid in 1417 the faculty it had for so long been seeking. At the same time, the king and queen provided the funding that would allow it to have certain financial independence.
In the XVI century, the “Alma Mater” of Valladolid reached its greatest splendour when it was declared one of the three principal universities in the kingdom, together with those of Salamanca and Alcalá. The first statutes, written in Latin, appeared in 1517 and later in Spanish. The Faculties of Medicine and Law achieved fame, bolstered by the existence of the nearby Chancellery. In the late XV century, Cardinal Mendoza founded the Colegio Mayor de Santa Cruz which, even from its early days, was to become famous amongst Spanish university institutions.
In 1770, during the reign of Carlos III, a general reform of Spanish universities was carried out. Although said reform was not fully consolidated, the following decades witnessed an air of renovation. From the early XIX century up until 1857, the old university, which had been dominated by peculiarities and scholastic spirit and had been characterized by a certain independence, became a lay, liberal and centralised university. This transformation led to mainly doctors and lawyers being trained. Later, and moving into the present century, technical disciplines came to the fore. Located in a medium size city of liberal tendencies, the University of Valladolid has seen its number of students grow rapidly to become the largest university in the autonomous region of Castilla y León.
The studies at the University of Valladolid are taught in four university campuses:
Undergraduate, Master's, Doctorate, Own Degrees, etc. are taught.
You can find all the updated information on the UVa's website:
Information regarding the academic calendar of the University of Valladolid can be found by following the link: